Nintendo Wii consoles are usually connected to televisions. A console alternative is necessary if, however, a TV is not available or if you are traveling. Playing your Wii on your laptop screen is one way to connect your Wii to it. We will focus on the two main methods (HDMI and Wireless Connection) since there are several different ways to accomplish this.
How to Connect and Play Wii on a Laptop
Traditional Wii connections require an HDMI input port on your laptop. Laptops are exclusively produced in HDMI format, which is the bad news. There are only laptops from the Alienware series that has HDMI. The output (from your Wii U) does not correspond to the output (from your laptop) when you attempt a relationship.
In most cases, you cannot use a laptop as a display if it doesn’t support HDMI-type input, which is very uncommon. You can, however, still communicate in other ways. Let’s dig into that now.
Connecting Wii to a Laptop Via an HDMI Input
A HDMI input port will be needed if you are planning on connecting your laptop to the Wii. In 99.99% of laptops, there is only a HDMI output. There are only a few laptops with HDMI inputs we know of, including the Alienware series. The output (from the Wii U) on the laptop (from the laptop) will not work if you make a connection.
Consequently, laptops aren’t capable of being used as monitors unless they support HDMI input, which is exceedingly rare. You can still make a connection, however, in another way. Let’s get started with that right away.
Connecting Wii to a Laptop Wirelessly
Wireless internet is the only viable option for connecting a Wii console to a laptop. Besides updating, downloading, and browsing, you can also do other things online with this.
- You need to press the “A.” key to select the Wii logo after you’ve turned the console on. You can access the Channel Menu by choosing the Wii logo from the Channel Menu. The next step is System Settings > Wi-Fi Settings > Internet > Connection Settings (click on the first connection).
- Next, select the search option and choose your Wi-Fi connection, and then enter the password.
- That’s all there is to it! Once you get the prompt, save your settings and then click OK to perform a Connection Test.
Connect the WiiMote to Your Laptop Using Bluetooth
Wii controllers are often assumed to require the Blue Soleil drivers to connect to a laptop. In this post, I’ll explain how to use the standard WiiMote drivers without spending money on new software to connect your WiiMote to Windows. The following are the steps to follow:
- You can add Bluetooth devices by right-clicking the Bluetooth tray icon under the clock at the lower right.
- You can then turn on the controller by pressing 1 and 2. There should now be a WiiMote listed in your device list.
- During this step, you should select Nintendo RVL-CNT-01 (not sure if that is the name of every WiiMote) and click Next. You need to press 1 and 2 again as soon as the WiiMote stops flashing so that the device stays active and the Bluetooth can still find it! A few seconds between pressing the buttons is best.
- When you complete the process, click Finish to finish. Select Nintendo RVL-CNT-01 and check the box.
- A green-blue symbol in the Bluetooth system tray indicates that everything went well, and you can now connect the WiiMote to your laptop.
Using Dolphin on your computer, you can play Wii games
Dolphin Emulator can be a hassle-free way for you to play Wii online games from your laptop. You can play a majority of current Wii games on your computer with the download of Dolphin Emulator. New laptops run 1080p games easily, and older machines run 480p games. Its installation process is pretty straightforward, which makes it great! There is no technical requirement to play Wii games, so anyone can do so.
There are times when Dolphin encounters problems. There may be some issues with the interface when you run some games. Dolphin’s forums provide excellent community support, and new releases with many fixes come out frequently to combat this problem.
If your machine does not have discrete graphics, Dolphin will probably run just fine on a few built-in graphics cards, but you will have to explore and test that. The performance of Dolphin on a laptop is not as smooth as it is on the original Wii. The downside is that these consoles are very old, particularly compared with the newest gaming laptops. So, in most cases, you won’t encounter any problems while playing games.
One of the reasons I love Dolphin so much is that I can play games with any controller, no matter what console I use. Play Wii games with controllers from other games consoles! If you feel like throwing out the controller, the keyboard is always available. I think this is a great free option to play Wii games on your laptop.